Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First 3 days of preceptorship

After 3 days of preceptorship, finally I have time to blog about it.

On the first day, we had some sort like a briefing from the coordinator at SMU Watson's training room. The refreshment is nice :P Deli France sandwiches and something that looks like muffin. And they shifted me to Raffles City instead of the original Marina Square. Guess what? The change in schedule is because my preceptor's getting married and she's going for her honeymoon =_=! The first day was alright, but my preceptor is still in Malaysia attending some seminar. So, the pharmacist on duty, who are a year 6, took me and Andrew in. She's like soooo senior-like, didn't give me the impression that we're students and she's a "preceptor". Nothing very interesting happen on the first day... except you consider meeting the Operations Director face to face on the first day counts...totally didn't expected it, at least she has the i'm-a-super-high-ranking-person aura. That aside, Andrew and I got shocked when we found out that Kai Tong (the year 6 I'm talking about) got 1st class honors... Nearly fainted when I discovered it. I always have the impression that those super zai one likes to go hospital rather than retail.

For the second day, finally I met my preceptor, Toh Yen. He's a super nice guy, although I admit that I was a bit intimidated by him at first coz he looked like super stern when I first met him. Anyway, he taught us a lot regarding export sales, prescriptions, receiving of goods, some basic counseling points for cold and allergy, eye drops blah blah blah and a lot more. Basically the second day didn't do much also, bumming around reading the product inserts and shadowing him (literally) when he counsels. I dispense my first Zyrtec on the 2nd day! Yay! But seriously, dunno why, it's super tiring on the second day. I'm like fell asleep at 9.30pm.. Totally missed my QT, faints. Oh ya, it's Toh Yen's birthday on the second day, so the preceptorship coordinator came down to the store and treated all of us lunch :P YumYum.

Today, which is the third day, is a lot better. We started on checking the prices of all the OTC and P item manually as well as electronically to make sure all the prices are accurate. Raffles City is really full of people having cold. Our cold medicines are literally flying off the shelves. I saw one lady take panadol like free... Shocked when she just walked to the counter and sweep the whole lot of panadol into her basket... Some Caucasian guy walked in today for antibiotic, and our preceptor asked us to find out what's his indication for 1g per day for two days. In the end, we found out that it's for STD.... And that guy doesn't look like he got STD at all... except his face being super red, maybe from too much exposure to Singapore's sun. Managed to secretly do some OTC counseling when my preceptor went in to the office haha. Hopefully I'm qualified enough to counsel and make recommendations for patients soon. Had free lunch again today courtesy of Toh Yen :P YumYumYum KFC and Pizza Hut.

Tomorrow's my off day! At least I can have time to really sit down and try to read up on cold and allergy before Friday so that I can answer the question asked by the preceptor. I really thank God for arrangement of my preceptorship. Good preceptor + Friendly staff + Polite customers = Happy Chern Yih!

No comments: