Saturday, September 22, 2007

Insuficient pharmacists?

I hope I'm not the only one following the news recently. Kind of feeling down after all the bad news about pharmacy profession in Singapore. I know that I can't really express myself well, but I'll try to comment on what I think about the whole event here.

Firstly, I feel that our salaries should be comparable to the amount of hardwork we put in. Compared to doctors (GPs in particulars), the ratio is kinda alright in my opinion. Quoting a source, doctors don't really earn that much also, in a range of 3000, which in my opinion is not really very high considering they spent 5 years and lots of money to take the course.

Now, somehow I feel that our curriculum system is flawed, too much emphasis on theoretical stuff and too little on real clinical settings. Even the attitudes of some pharmacy students in NUS is not right. Not that I wanna bring in controversial topic, but it is true that some people came into the pharmacy course solely due to their inability to get into medicine and dentistry, apart from lacking the money to go overseas for the above mentioned courses. Naturally, they don't have the passion for pharmacy at all. I'm guessing that most of them just want to finish a course that at least look better than just a normal science degree. Maybe this also explains why the public do not really respect the pharmacists.

Somehow I realised I'm just writing whatever that comes into my head. Apologies to those who're offended. No offensive materials intended, just pure ranting.

No comments: